With supervision, perform periodic field inspections of discrete portions of projects both prior to and during construction to determine compliance with approved plans and specifications. Perform quality assurance testing of materials for projects, both internal and external to firm, to verify compliance with the plans and specifications. Other responsibilities include: assist in maintaining the materials testing laboratory, responsible for monitoring lab equipment and supplies, reporting on lab usage. Assist in maintaining uniform field and laboratory testing procedures; occasionally assist in field surveying.
- Participate in initial and periodic construction coordination meetings; meet with Project Manager to review project timeline, project details and specifications.
- Read engineering blueprints to understand construction requirement for elements being tested or inspected.
- Read engineering blueprints to understand project inspection and testing requirements.
- Assist in the resolution of problems between the firm’s disciplines and contractor(s).
- May locate, with the survey crew, to assist in setting construction stakes and address special problems which may arise when constructing a project.
- Perform QA/QC testing for concrete and soils both in the materials laboratory and in the field.
- Assist survey crew or Resident Project Representative to set building corners, grades and elevations for construction projects using established Survey Control.
- Routinely monitor and evaluate operations, programs, processes and/or practices for safety quality and effectiveness; make recommendations for improvement.
- Perform other related duties or tasks, as assigned.
Required: Associates’ Degree in engineering technology or construction management or at least 2 years’ experience in construction coordination/management. Knowledge of construction methods and materials; ability to read and interpret blueprints. ACI and Radiation Safety Certification preferred. Possession of valid driver’s license required.
Skills/Abilities: Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments. Ability to communicate effectively and establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and contractors. Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
Regularly required to stand; sit; walk; talk or hear; handle or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. May occasionally be required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Work is performed in a climate-controlled office environment and outdoors, exposed to all weather elements. Outdoor work is required in the inspection of various land use developments, construction sites, or public works in outside weather conditions. May occasionally work in excavations or traffic and be occasionally exposed to wet conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals.